November 8, 2009

Sneak Peek: Paloma of La Dolce Vita!

Today marks 'day 1' of my vacation which means it's times for our weeklong sneak peeks into my favorite bloggers' homes! I'm beyond thrilled to have Paloma of La Dolce Vita as our first guest of the week! Just as the name would imply, La Dolce Vita is oozing with sweetness - from inspiring interiors, to fantastic fashion, and more. But the real icing on the cake is that Paloma couldn't be a sweeter person herself! Today she's kindly welcoming us into her beautiful home. Enjoy!

**********************************************************************


I was both excited and a little nervous when Crystal asked me to do a guest post on Plush Palate. I thought about all of the projects that I would like to undertake at my house and how I wouldn’t have enough time to finish them by the time she needed my post. Then I got to thinking about the task at hand. Crystal wanted me to share a room in my home that is special to me or that I spend a lot of time in. I work from home, so I pretty much live in my office most of the day, but my favorite part of the day is when my husband, puppy, and I hang out in the family room in the evenings after work. Like any design-minded person, there are several things that I’d like to change in this room, but all in all, I really do like it. 

My coffee table is stacked with interior design books and magazines. Although I love my bowl of starfish, I usually have to put it up on a bookshelf because my puppy, Tate seems to think that it is a bowl full of treats.
Earlier this year, my husband and I took the chairs in the background and completely breathed new life into them. We think they were from the 1950s. We removed the dingy powder blue velvet they were covered in, painted them, and had them reupholstered in a more modern, graphic fabric.

My Suzanne Kasler Quatrefoil Lamp is one of my favorite pieces in the room.
I also adore my Penguin Classics Collection and get a lot of compliments on them. I like that they add color to the room without being too obvious.

My design style is more masculine in a sense, but I always add a touch of glamour. In our family room, a pair of mercury glass candlesticks and a starburst mirror do the trick!

I am all about the balance of masculine and feminine aesthetics, so I think this vintage seltzer bottle from the 50s and strong “C” typeset letter from Anthropologie round out the fireplace vignette perfectly.

My favorite "accessory" in the room would have to be Tate, who spends most of his day in our family room. 

31 comments:

Monika said...

What an awesome family room! I really like your design attitude. Thanks for sharing!

Jessica said...

Great home! I love that she has items from my wish list - like the quatrefoil lamp and the fabric-covered books!

Pretty Lovely said...

What a wonderful series. I can't wait to follow along :)

xx,
Sam

Christina said...

that starfish centerpiece is a such a sweet touch. just lovely!

In Honor Of Design said...

THose books are so eye catching! love it! great post!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous family room! Love the books, saw them recently in Anthropologie in London and was really tempted! You make me one to go and take a second look! Have a sweet day!

Brandi said...

Such a lovely room! I particularly love the Penguins Classics Collection -- all those pretty colors (and great books too)! I might have to pick up a set of those for myself some day...

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

Love the Penguin books collection and your dog, of course! :)

Haven and Home said...

I love Paloma, I was so happy to get a peek at her house!

Chicago Chic said...

I love those black & white chairs and the Penguin Classic books! Before we moved to Italy, my favorite part of the day was hanging out in the living room with my husband and puppy also :) Great post & great decor! xoxo

Design Actually said...

Love the fabric on the chairs and the books are so pretty! The puppy could not be any cuter :)

Outside The Lines said...

So great! My favorite things are the mirror, the "C", and Tate!!!

Dumbwit Tellher said...

Paloma's home is as fabulous as she is. Not sure what I have a bigger crush on - the Kasler floorlamp or Tate :D Happy vacation to you ~

vicki archer said...

A gorgeous room full of wonderful style....xv

Jenn from The Home Decorating Company said...

Such a beautiful home. Thanks for sharing!

Tricia said...

Paloma, you think a puppy is bad, wait until you have kids! I have no decorations lower that three feet! All of those glorious architecture books I have are all shoved at the tops of cabinets.

Love the refinished chairs. I am currently looking for some for our bedroom and another set for our office. I just can't find some that are right. I absolutely love yours!

Averill said...

Those chairs are fantastic!

LindsB said...

I love Palomas chairs, they came out beautiful!

Unknown said...

Crystal, thank you so much for asking me to participate this week! Putting the post together was a lot of fun. I hope you are having a great time in Seattle!

Thank you so much for your sweet comments, everyone! :)

Unknown said...

I love her pretty home and especially the Penguin Classics! Hope you are having a great vacation Crystal!

xo

Hobnail and Brass said...

Oooh, the quatrefoil lamp. So chic.

Agatha F. said...

Love the room!
I'm new at this design world, but I learning SO much! Thanks :D

p.s.: and the puppy, HOW ADORABLE! :)

###### said...

i think what she showed looked great. not sure why she was nervous to show it though because there was nothing wrong with it.

TheBeautyFile said...

Beautiful! I love how clean & elegant it is!

Lauren said...

so pretty!!!! i love the fem- masculine balance Paloma's created. love the sunburst over the mantle & of course her choice in coffee table books/ mags! ok, and i NEED that penguin's classic collection- oh my goodness!!!

beautiful!

xoxoox,
lauren

Sarah Klassen said...

This is such a fun series, Crystal!

First off, pretty space -- it's nice to be able to see the little touches, the personal details, up close that make this space unique and chic. The book collection is to die for -- such a graphic look. The chairs, re-covered, look so wow in the space. Also, I love the vintage seltzer bottle -- nice find!

Thanks for sharing your lovely home with us :)

::levina:: said...

beautiful home...great series...looking forward to reading more...

Meg said...

Paloma! I love this little sneak peak! Your place is great :) Love those books~ ;)

Tammy@InStitches said...

I love your space and of course your puppy !

Sarah Ring said...

I love all of Paloma's ideas, esp about balancing the room and not making it too girly! I need to work on that!

Home Tex Shop said...

We are manufacturer of king and queen size cotton bed sheets, comforters, pillow cover. We have many range for hotel white color bed sheet, comforters and pillow covers. Buy our colourfull luxurious bed sheet and comforters
Bedding Sheets, Buy Bed Sheets, Comforters Set, Gift Bed Sheet India, Cotton Bed Sheet, King Size, Queen Size Bed Sheet Manufacturer India

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin