June 9, 2010

Lovely Black Bones

Lately I've been drawn to the use of black lines to create bones in a space. Amidst free flowing white they act as a skeleton, highlighting and creating structure in a room.
This has long been one of my favorite spaces. I love everything about it, from the color scheme to the green plants and little swing arm lamp on the right. But what makes it drop dead gorgeous in my mind is the drapery. With black leading edges the room instantly has depth, texture, and a sense of strong structure.
This gorgeous bed works to achieve the same aim. With white all around, the beautiful shape and curve of the posts jolt out of space like a graceful flower and create visual interests.
We don't often see black crown molding but this bedroom shows how powerful its impact can be. Mirroring the horizontal lines in the bedding, foot and headboard, desk, and doorway, it ties everything together in a pretty little package and in the form of this gorgeous room.
Taken to an extreme, black and white striped wallpaper adds presence. Usually the goal is to create the illusion of infinite space in a room, but instead, the aim here is clearly to create a cozy, enveloping effect, which I love!

P.S. If you're into color and black and white isn't you thing, then pop over to Emily's blog, where I'm guest blogging with a little color inspiration. And let me warn you....it's bright!

Images: 1. unknown, 2. House Beautiful 3., 4. Elle Decor

15 comments:

Unknown said...

that last picture was actually in Domino YEARS ago - i ripped it out and have it in my "decor" folder @ home .. i wanna do something like that in my upstairs rooms b/c i have ceilings like that up there! - so needless to say - that's my fave :o)

*kiss kiss*
Erika
~Tiptoe Butterfly~

AppleTree said...

Great post, lovely images. I think I want to have those drapes made pronto.

Crystal @ Plush Palate said...

@Erika: really? I got it directly off the elle decor site this morning! I love it too and would be perfect for a space with ceilings like that!

sylvie said...

oh that canopy bed is divine! and striped walls are the perfect canvas for bold accessories - vibrant peonies and dahlias or a terrific pop colored cashmere throw.

thanks for sharing the love, miss crystal :)

xo,
sylvie of silver lining

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Interesting post - thanks for your fresh perspective and beautiful images. Found you through Emily's blog! Enjoyed my first visit and will be following!

_ffyona said...

Wow this is lovely. The way the "lovely black bones" looked in the first just took me away with it.

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

great inspiration, love how the black details work in all these rooms, and the windows on the first photo are amazing

The Iconic Blog.com said...

Fantastic idea. What gorgeous spaces.x

this free bird said...

That first room is really amazing. wow. My place is white with navy. Maybe I need to switch it up with some black...

Lisa - Fine Sweet Life said...

White walls are so my thing, and no one around me agrees with it. I don't care. I find it calming and peaceful. Colored walls are nice for 5 minutes, but I have also been known to change my mind. Next year you might take a peek into my world and it could be colored walls everywhere! Thanks for your great posts!!

Porchlight Interiors said...

I love black accents in a room...it really grounds the space! Gorgeous images! Tracey xx

Design Actually said...

I love black & white, these are such great inspiration pics. I especially love the black bed frame, very chic!

Kathysue said...

Did someone say Black and white, I am sooooo there. Love anything to do with black and white, It has been a long time staple in my home and in my clothes. Put it in a stripe and it is perfection. Love all of the images, thanks for sharing, Kathysue

Dani @ Weddings Fresh said...

stunning! love the first room--gorgeous!

Politically Sweet said...

i have and always will love grey kitchens...i absolutely adore dark grey and blush pink/purple tones together. ahh a girl can dream :)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin