July 1, 2010

Guest Post from Jami of Imagine!

Today Jami from Imagine is filling in for me while I'm away. Though we've never met in person, Jami has become a dear blog friend of mine. She's got a great eye for style, is filled with design knowledge, and is sweet as can be. I'll finally have the chance to meet Jami in August while on the LA leg of our Rue home tour shoots. Jami has planned a pool day for us and I can't hardly wait! Here's Jami with a glimpse into the design of one of her favorite New York designers!
"In New York, concrete jungle where dreams are made of, there's nothing you can't do..." And lucky, lucky Crystal gets to experience it firsthand this week! I'm completely jealous, as I've never had the pleasure of gracing the streets of NYC, but I'm absolutely thrilled that Crystal will be struttin' her stuff through the concrete jungle and invited me over to Plush Palate.

In her absence, I'll be sharing with you a little about one of my favorite NYC designers, Thom Filicia. You may remember him from "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" or recognize him as the host on the TV program "Dress My Nest."

Thom Filicia's style is classic simplicity with an unexpected, modern flair. He is known as one who blends the worlds of mass media and interior design to create an unforgettable impression. Thom isn't afraid to mix the old with the new and I think that is why I'm drawn to his designs (plus he has great hair!). Here's a handful of my favorite Thom Filicia residential projects.

The typical tropical Miami bold and bright color palette is subdued in this space, creating a clean, simple and inviting room to relax, lounge and enjoy the natural light beaming through the expansive windows. I'm in love with the soft white ceiling-to-floor wall drapery.
Oversized wild horse art, bird cage lighting and these yellow chairs with nail head trim are right up my alley! I'm also enjoying the underlying circle theme he's got going with the round table, round rug, circle sculpture and the balls sitting in the corner.
The horizontal lines and slate grey color palette convey a serene and calming effect in this bedroom. In this room, there is a mastered mixture of old and new; the antique dresser, the contemporary accessories, the traditional four-poster bed with a modern twist, the classic sunburst mirror and quatrafoil pattern. Love it!
I just thought this was fun! What a unique idea to bring into play oversized rope as a handrail. The size and color palette work, so why not? Nice touch. I also love the cut-out-trim mirroring the stairway and the bold stripe right up the center. This staircase is not just a path of travel, but Thom was creative in crafting a focal point with a space that is at times overlooked.
The room certainly had my gears turning the first time I laid eyes on it! What a show stopper. You can tell that Thom had fun playing with scale and proportion in this room. I appreciate the unexpected whimsy that the gears generate. Sitting in that loft area would provide me with much inspiration and put my imagination to work!
Thom not only designs residential homes, but his portfolio includes spaces such as multiple W Hotels, The World's Fair, dressing rooms at The View, and windows at Christie's. This year, Thom launched his multifaceted retail home collection, "Thom Filicia Home," which includes furniture, textiles, floor covering, broadloom, lighting and more.

A big 'thank you,' to Crystal for having me over! Crystal has always been such an inspiration and my "go-to" person when it comes to all my blog questions! I hope, Crystal, "Now that you're in New York, the streets will make you feel brand new and the lights will inspire you!" I'm looking forward to our LA meet-up later this summer!

*images via Thom Filicia

15 comments:

Hamptontoes said...

Love all the images. Whether a home is traditional or modern I always gravitate towards designing with clean lines. His work excludes clutter and I love it!

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

What a fun guest post, Jami! I'm liking his work too, especially that grey and white striped bedroom - very hotel chic.

P.S. I love that Alica Keys song!

Ludmila {creamylife.com} said...

oh my, these designs are amazing! can't stop staring! so inspiring post! thank you, Jami!

Unknown said...

OH how i love that rope as a banaster - i wonder if i can do that?! - gonna LOOK into that ASAP - i still never hung my banaster - so this might work - THANKS LOVE!!!!!

*kiss kiss*
Erika
~Tiptoe Butterfly~

Sally@DivineDistractions said...

Thom is getting alot of press these days, and it's so justified. He's got a mix that appeals to so many. He's also just come out with an exclusive collection of fabrics for Kravet. They are very yummy! Cotton's and linens, prints and solids....very beautiful!

Carmen ACHADOS DE DECORAÇÃO said...

I simply loooove Thom Felicia´s design and I´ve read his book! Its amazing and I enjoyed every page!!

PS: I´m from Brazil and I can´t wait to read the new RUE MAG in September!!!!!! (I hope I can find it here in Sao Paulo to by)

jisabird said...

I'm glad I paged all the way down. The first few photos weren't my style, but I love the rope handrail. I was thinking that would be a great way to add a lower level handrail for children.

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

beautiful post, Jami has a great eye! love that bedroom!

Rebecca said...

Love the rope handrail! Completely inspiring and super easy to make! xx

ashlina {the decorista} said...

well done jam! such a fabulous post, i would not expect less than the best from my girl! :)

Crystal! So excited about Rue and can't wait for our pool party!
all my love
XOXO

La Boheme said...

Jami you did great on your post! Love your selection!! Now I'm really curious about the pool party! hugs

Jami - XOimagine said...

Thank you everyone! I've been captivated by Thom's designs ever since I was introduced to him while he was running around on Queer Eye. This post was so much fun for me to put together; it gave me the chance to study one of my favorites in more detail than usual. Thank you, Crystal for the opportunity and I loved reading everyone's comments! See you in LA!

xo - jami
i m a g i n e

Samantha said...

Great design. I like his clean but warm style.

Angie said...

Those rooms were amazing!! Thanks for sharing Jami! Sorry I didn't get to visit your guest post until now- computer issues all last week! :(

Emma said...

Thom is one of my all time favourites! Just can't beat those gears... and I agree, the rope is ingenious!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin