August 23, 2010

Lifestyle of Loveliness in Boston's South End

My college years were spent in Boston, so when I saw this lovely South End abode on Jamie's blog, I couldn't help but be transported to a place of fond memory: a beautiful New England campus where I devoured Shakespeare and Italian classes. Fall foliage, cold winters, and a glistening Charles River in the spring. Weekends dancing in the city, party hoping at Harvard, mingling at MIT, and of course being studious at Tufts.
In fact, this Boston home seems to be the living embodiment of those years: a charming sense of place marked by old architecture, preppy style, and the feeling of being part of something traditional and true.
Pulling me even further into adoration of the space is the cool palette of seafoam green and warm hues of beautiful wood. It's the perfect play on light and heavy, airy and solid -- it's full without being stuffy, inviting but not suffocating, and just as appropriate in the summer as it would be in the winter.
A little trip down memory lane on a Monday morning may have been just what the doctor ordered. As another busy week awaits me going forward, sometimes it's nice to pause for a moment to look back.

*images by jamie beck

11 comments:

Kate {domestikatedlife} said...

As a current Boston gal, I'm totally loving that Boston map! So cute!

Anonymous said...

Loving this post, Crystal... being a Boston native you have nailed what the city is all about! It's a great place to go to college, huh? I took Logan to Harvard Square this weekend and I could never tire of walking around the Harvard campus... I am in awe every time I see it! xo

Anonymous said...

Whew ... I am experiencing a serious case of home decor lust right now! Lord, forgive me! ;) I spent my college years in Virginia (my husband and I have since lived in California, and now, Colorado) and as much as I love the West, I sometimes yearn for the tradition of the East; thank you for sharing your nostalgic experience with this lovely home -- It brought the exact same feeling to me.

Peggy and Fritz said...

Ah, thanks for the trip down memory lane. I went to Northeastern and miss Boston so much especially in the fall. I live in LA now and I'm surrounded by several Bostonians. We all talk about how we miss it in the fall. I use to live on Bowdoin Street right before I moved to LA in a charming Victorian house inbetween Harvard Square and Porter Square. I love the city, architecture, and the South End is a favorite of mine espeically being an NU girl. Charming apartments and brownstones. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I'm envious of all your readers living there now who get to witness Boston in the fall. Ann

Creategirl said...

Yay! I love that you have a Boston connection! You said it perfectly with "traditional and true". This space is perfectly Boston with it's subtle colors, architectural details and knowing exactly it's style. Great post!

Lissa Pierce said...

So lovely and serene, and I love the wall color. Have a great week!

Gina said...

I was born and raised here and maybe I'm biased but there is something very magical about this town in the fall and winter. :)

Stephanie Sabbe said...

so sweet. I love it

Splendid Sass said...

Precious memories. Beautiful images.

Francine Gardner said...

With my boys off to college, your post brought me back to my college days in boston. i went to undergrad and grad school at Babson, partied at harvard,and met this dashing young man there who became my husbnd....If i could only recapture these years....I loved my years in boston...Thanks for the beautiful images

From Me To You said...

Your words brought my images to life, thanks Crystal for the lovely feature!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin