May 19, 2011

BOOK CLUB: ELEMENTS OF STYLE


A girl can never have too many books in her collection, wouldn't you agree? And thanks to a recommendation from Katie at a dinner party last week, I'm loving my latest addition. Actually, as an English major, I'm quite mythed I didn't already own this famous little writers manual - a manual that promises to make you a better writer, guaranteed. And with passages like this, I'm excited to dive right into Strunk and White's philosophy:

"Vigorous writing is concise. A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary parts. This requires not that the writer make all sentences short or avoid all detail and treat subjects only in outline, but that every word tell."

"...but that every word tell." I love that! I purchased the 50th anniversary edition in hardback because I adored the black and gold cover. Have I mentioned before that books are my favorite home accessory?

So tell me friends, what do you have in your collection of classics?

13 comments:

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

One of my high school English teachers made it his mission to drill that into us--not to be too wordy. I always remember him when I'm writing and editing myself. Don't know if I always succeed.

design elements said...

i love that book! timeless......

Jewel at Eat.Drink.Shop.Love said...

OMG! I just found my copy of this book. I had it in college but never used it. Great Read!

Kathy said...

Elements of Style was required reading in AP English my senior year in high school. I still refer to it (and wish every blogger would too!)

DENISE. said...

Oooh, so glad to meet another writing geek! :) I was a journalism major, English minor and my copy is a marked-up disaster. Congrats!

ArchitecturalBlack said...

Great purchase! I myself own the version of this book with illustrations by Maira Kalman. It's a gorgeous little thing- and the art makes it a little more fun to use as editing reference.

Lynn

Julie Khuu | Haute Khuuture said...

Crystal, this is great! I'm always looking for ways to better my writing skee-los without having to partake in any classes or join forums...I think I prefer the isolation it seems...I love reading for the sake of bettering my written thoughts...will definitely put this one in the queue!

Off the genre, have you read Siddhartha by Herman Hesse? Totally helps the stream of consciousness vibe most bloggers swear by...including myself of course ;D

Thanks for the tip!

xo-Julie
Peace. Love. LOL!

Haute Khuuture Blog

vanessa joie said...

my all time favorite book is How Green Was My Valley but maybe because Wales has a special place in my heart. I'm embarrassed that I don't find time to read more.

Ashley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ashley said...

I was an English major, as well, and this was required reading for one of my very first college classes! I love the look of the 50the 50th anniversary edition and may have to add it to my collection!

Laura @PAWSH_Magazine said...

Love this book and all of you fellow English majors! I often grow nostalgic for the student days of absorbing book after book after book. However, now as a working professional we have the means to build our own personal collection, rather than borrow from the library all the time. Yay good reads!

Joy said...

YAY for fellow English majors!

My favorite classic - my favorite book ever - is still The Great Gatsby. Baz Luhrmann is remaking the movie (as 3D??), and I will come after him something fierce if he ruins it. Of course, Leo DiCaprio is playing Gatsby, so the movie does have that going for it...

Tricia Rose Rough Linen said...

I am gravitating away from fiction, love biographies, especially American history as I am English and missed out on it (latest: George Washington, His Slaves and America). Just read Uncle Tom's Cabin! Last week discovered William Carlos Williams and am revelling in his poetry. Love my Strunk too!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin