August 19, 2009

Fall: Get Ready / Get the Look, Installment #3

This week Alek over at From the Right Bank to the Left Coast gives us our 3rd Installment of Fall: Get Ready/Get the Look! I knew Alek was the perfect girl to turn to for this series as she lives a very fashionable life and picks up style inspiration from her world travels. And she's sharing her fantastic ideas on how to easily and affordably transition your interiors and wardrobes from summer to fall. So let's get started, here's Alek!
I'm not sure when it happened but at some point, fall became my favorite season. Maybe it's because I went to school forever and then lived near a university for many years but I always get that back-to-school feeling in the fall and I love that feeling of renewal and possibilities.

As we transition from summer to fall, I have a very easy plan for both my home and wardrobe. My strategy is the same every year: layer different textural elements, add on or two must-have pieces and inject some darker and richer colors. (As you will see, I'm really favoring purple for this season.)

In the house, I like to bring out faux fur pillows and throws, animal skin rugs, and blankets and other accessories like vases and trays in black, browns, and metallics. I've collected things like this over time so I just bring then out of storage year after year. I may swap out one or two items with new ones to keep things fresh but if you keep a few good key pieces in your stash, there's no need to buy a whole new look each season.

This approach works well regardless of style or budget. For example, a shot of a dark, bold color can really enhance an already warm and luxurious atmosphere.

And a deep brown, wooly throw with the purple duvet and a black pillow make this simple Ikea bedroom really cozy and inviting. 

Even though I talk strictly about home and interior design on my blog, fashion is also a huge love of mine. Another reason fall is my favorite season is definitely the fashions. I love haute couture as much as the next fashionista but for everyday, I like to keep it simple. Just like for the home, the key is layering. 

You can get more mileage out of your summer dresses just by adding a long sleeve t-shirt underneath, tights, boots and some type of sweater or jacket. And this is something that works well whether your style is bohemian or urban or somewhere in between.

The same is true for a simple t-shirt and jeans. This season, blazers and long cardigans are still very popular and the best part is that most of us probably already have these pieces in our closets. Just add one with a pair of boots or booties and you're instantly ready for fall.



If you really wanted to be on trend this year, a pair of over the knee boots with any of these outfit will do the trick. 

And here's that purple again. 

So that's my simplified strategy for taking your home and wardrobe into fall this year. It makes my life a little easier and I hope it may do the same for you. 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you Alek! I love your idea of packing away some seasonal pieces in storage and creating a personal little stash! And all the ideas on getting extra mileage out of summer dresses are genius! 

19 comments:

Dumbwit Tellher said...

Fabulous post & Alek is an incredibly woman. Great style, impeccable taste. Those purple over the knee suede boots = fabulous! Great examples; high & low.
Thanks for the fall inspiration ladies ~ Deb

Anonymous said...

Can you tell me who makes that fabulous leopard print coat?? I adore it to pieces and it's exactly what I've been looking for!

Christina said...

alek, you are spot on! i'm loving the purple grey color combo for this season and all of these photos (especially the outfits) are making me drool. great post!

Courtney said...

Love the purple, Alek! Those bedrooms look so cozy, I think I get more excited for fall each day.

Mise said...

Two of my favorite blogs in one. Thanks for the wise tips, and I may have to think about letting some purple into my strictly purpleless life.

Maria Johns said...

alek, I love all the purple, its my favorite color and fall's my favorite season too.. bring on fallen leaves and apple pie!

ticklishfromadistance said...

GREAT post! Love the colors and ideas. And want that first bedroom in a bad way.

Simply Colette said...

Oh those plum tights and purple raincoat! Sign me up :) xoxo

nelya said...

Love.It.All.

Alek, you are an inspiration in every way. Thanks for sharing!

FROM THE RIGHT BANK said...

Thanks, everyone for your lovely comments!

Berry: I'm not sure whose coat that is. I'll try to find out.

The Antiques Diva™ said...

What a fun post today!! I loved mixing fashion and home tips!! Yesterday I hit the Kudamm in Berlin for some fashion shopping and came home thrilled with the fall styles this year... all shapes and colors out were totally me!!!

Rebecca Corvese said...

I'm so glad I found your site through Alek! What a great blog you have. I've added you to my blog roll! Come on over... I have a fun giveaway going on right now!

Paula Grace Designs said...

Loved Sarah's first installment. I'm going to read #2 next but I read #3 first. Yes, Fall is in the air. I have to get my daughter's school supplies! A trick I have done to help save $$$ is to create pillows with two coordinating fabrics but clearly seasonally based ~ one side Spring/Summer, the other Fall/Winter ~ just flip them over. Plus, in the dead of winter if you want a pick-me-up, just flip them to Spring/Summer, get out your Ray-bans and have a grapefruit martini!
Paula Grace ~
http://www.paulagracedesigns.blogspot.com/

Jennifer, Decorum said...

I used to think that we folk "down under" followed the northern hemisphere" in fashion colours and trends but I think with the medium we are using now it is instant. We are just about to head into Spring and the colours here look like being coral and navy which is what you guys have been talking about for the past 3 months. We on the other hand, will be packing away our purple and grey just as you are getting it out. So what did come first?

Monika said...

Thank you, Alek, really great post! I also would inject some purple into my home and my wardrobe! I think this is one of the most sophisticated colors!

You have an awesome blog!

paula said...

purple is my color for the season too. Never thought about incorporating it into the home, but what a great idea.

Fargerike Dagny said...

I just love fall!! Purple will definitely be a big part of my fall wardrobe! :D

Unknown said...

I adored your foray into fashion blogging for the day! Fabulous images too. Could that royal purple get any more plush?

Cheers.

###### said...

great post!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin